The funds provide grants to college students to subsidize experiences intended to broaden their perspective and enhance personal growth. They may include travel in this country and abroad and a variety of internship and public service programs. The award does not reimburse students for unearned summer wages. Traditional programs and those that are a regular part of the student’s curriculum of his/her institution’s offerings — such as a sponsored junior year abroad or a departmentally sponsored summer research program — will not be funded.
Please note: this fellowship does not support standard study abroad programs or programs with an established academic curriculum.
Grants are not intended for purchase of equipment or other capital expenses. Awards generally range from $2,000 to $7,000. All applicants will be notified of the decision in March.
Applications will be accepted from college freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors who are legal residents of Rhode Island. The enrichment experience is to occur by year end 2016. Plans must include a well-defined program and demonstrate clear purpose. Applicants must show financial need for support in completing the project. Those selected must submit a final project — in writing and perhaps another medium — communicating the value of the experience in furthering their long-term goals. Criteria for evaluating applications include: clarity and thoughtfulness of application, creativity and motivation of proposed project, evidence of self-direction and initiative, and financial need.
Application deadline extended to February 12, 2016
A complete application includes:
- Completed online application form
- Your official college transcript
- Financial information worksheet
- A copy of your financial aid award letter
- A copy of your final Student Aid Report
- Two proofs of Rhode Island residency (five-year Rhode Island residency requirement prior to application deadline)
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty, employers or other professional persons who understand why the proposed experience is appropriate for you
- Description of enrichment experience, including plans, preparation, amount requested and how funds will be used, breakdown of itemized expenses, and how this experience will further your goals.
- Supporting documentation concerning the proposed experience (optional).