One Union Station history
Union Station was originally the main terminal of the Providence train station from 1898 to 1986. Designed by Stone, Carpenter, and Willson and constructed by the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad, the station consisted of five yellow brick buildings. In the station's early days, some 300 trains ran through it each day.
As train usage decreased through the decades, Amtrak constructed a smaller facility nearby, and plans were made to convert Union Station into stores and offices.
In April 1987, a massive fire nearly destroyed the historic building. But work continued, and two and a half years later - and $10 million in renovation costs - Cookson America moved its offices into the former main terminal building.
The Rhode Island Foundation purchased the building in April, 1999 for $4.5 million, and moved into its new home in August. The Foundation occupies the third floor of the three-story building and part of the second floor.
Since purchasing the building, the Foundation - although it is tax-exempt under the law - has paid property taxes. In the Foundation's first 15 years in One Union Station, its tax payments have totaled more than $3.3 million.