Sergeant Cornel Young, Jr. Scholarship
In August 2000, family and friends of the Young Family, wishing to honor the late Sergeant Cornel Young, Jr. of the Providence Police Department, established the Sergeant Cornel Young, Jr. Scholarship Fund. The fund provides a scholarship to a deserving graduating senior from a Providence public high school. Applicants are selected in their junior year to receive the scholarship upon high school graduation with proof of acceptance to an accredited degree-conferring higher education institution. Scholarships will be awarded annually.
Applicants must be nominated by their high school guidance counselors. Applications submitted independently without recommendations from the guidance counselor, advisor, teacher, or principal will not be considered. A committee made up of representatives from Providence public high schools will review applications and select scholarship winners. In order to qualify as an applicant, you must meet the following criteria:
- Currently a junior in a Providence public high school
- Demonstrate that you have overcome a serious obstacle in your academic path
- Demonstrate financial need
Applications are due by 5 p.m. (EST) on March 15, 2013.
A complete application includes:
* If you already have started this online application, please log in to your account page to edit the application that is in progress.
- Completed online application form *
- A letter of recommendation from a guidance counselor, teacher, principal, or other advisor as evidence that you have overcome a serious challenge or obstacle to your continued academic path. Recommender should email the letter to Libby Monahan by 5 p.m. (EST) on March 15.
- Financial information worksheet
- One essay
- Most recent high school transcript
- Résumé/list of student activities