Herman H. Rose Civic, Cultural and Media Access Fund

(formerly the Archive, Document, Display and Dissemination Fund)

Philanthropist Herman Rose created this fund at the Foundation in 1986 to provide new incentives to strengthen libraries and other civic, cultural, and literacy-focused organizations and expand their role as community centers that stimulate dialogue around critical issues.

Two Grant Programs

The Fund offers two grant opportunities. Grants are awarded annually. Please note: Applications will not be considered from organizations with overdue grant reports.

  1. Media Project Grants
    To provide greater access to information through archiving, documenting, displaying, or disseminating information
    Deadline: January 12, 2018
  2. Library Challenge Grants
    To provide added funding for fundraising campaigns planned to meet local needs
    Deadline: January 12, 2018

Media Project Grants

Media Project Grants should assure greater access to information by targeted individuals. The goal may be achieved by doing one of the following:

  • Archive catalog collections of videos, programs, performances, or publications;
  • Document produce printed materials, DVDs, or other media to stimulate thoughtful discussion;
  • Display audio-visual, graphic, or combined presentations; or
  • Disseminate spread information and/or newly produced materials through the media (radio, television, newspapers, or the Internet). 

There are several levels of matching grants. Requirements for Media Project Grant applications are as follows:

  • For requests of $500 to $1,499
    The grant may cover up to 60% of the total project cost. Agency must obtain the remaining 40% through other funding, matched funding, in-kind services (i.e., staff time), agency funds or funds from at least one external donor. Preference will be given to applicants whose board members provide matching funds.
  • For requests of $1,500 to $2,500
    The grant may cover up to 50% of the total project cost. Agency must obtain the remaining 50% through other funding, matched funding, in-kind services (i.e., staff time), agency funds or funds from at least one external donor. Preference will be given to applicants whose board members provide matching funds.
  • For requests up to $3,500*
    The grant may cover up to 40% of the total project cost. Agency must obtain the remaining 60% through other funding, matched funding, in-kind services (i.e., staff time), agency funds or funds from at least one external donor. Preference will be given to applicants whose board members provide matching funds.

*Applicants requesting more than $2,500 will require an on-site consultation. Site visits must be scheduled by November 27, 2017 by calling Kelly Riley at (401) 427-4028. Proposals which have designated donations from individual board members will be given higher priority.

Any nonprofit or municipal agency may apply for a project grant. Typical applicants are consortia developed around a particular concern, libraries, etc. While we ask that organizations limit their submissions to the Fund to one application per year, this does not limit an organization from applying to other funds administered by the Foundation.

Applications must be submitted by midnight (EST) on January 12, 2018. Please note that no assistance will be available after 5 p.m. (EST).

To apply for a Media Project Grant
A complete application includes:

*If you already have started this online application, please log in to your account page to edit the application that is in progress.

 

Library Challenge Grants

Fund Library Challenge Grants are intended to provide added funding for campaigns planned to meet local needs; i.e., annual fundraising drives or special campaigns directed toward acquisition of equipment, special collections, or more books, publications, and holdings in other media.

Challenge Grants to support libraries may be requested by any Rhode Island library or library support organization with 501(c)(3) status or statement of standing as a municipal agency. It is up to you to suggest the challenge. Applications must be submitted each year prior to initiation of the campaign being challenged. The intent of these Challenge Grants is to encourage libraries to set monetary targets for their campaigns and to plan their fundraising tactics carefully before approaching the community. The Fund will not be the sole funder or first contributor to a campaign. Applicants must demonstrate commitments from other sources for this project.

You will not be in competition with other applicants. All properly fashioned campaigns for which a completed application has been approved will receive funds. Grant amounts ranging from $500 to $2,500 will be negotiated in a discussion with the Foundation after applications are received. Initial challenge is for one year only. However, applicants may think of a multi-year progression. Grants to support future years will be “stepped up” if the first-year campaign is successful. Maximum awards will be based on previous year’s involvement. While we ask that organizations limit their submissions to the Fund to one application per year, this does not limit an organization from applying to other funds administered by the Foundation.

Applications must be submitted by midnight (EST) on January 12, 2018. Please note that no assistance will be available after 5 p.m. (EST).

To apply for a Library Challenge Grant
A complete application includes:

*If you already have started this online application, please log in to your account page to edit the application that is in progress.

 

Address

LocationOne Union Station
Providence, RI 02903
Directions

Contact

(401) 274-4564
info@rifoundation.org

E-News Sign Up