The 2016 Fellowships will be awarded to visual artists. The 2017 Fellowships will be awarded to composers and 2018 Fellowships will be awarded to writers.
August 18, 2016 at 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time
All applications must be submitted online by the deadline.
Fellowship Objective and Guidelines
The MacColl Johnson Fellowship seeks to advance the careers of artists who, through seriousness of purpose and active engagement, are committed to their artistic practice.
The significant financial support provided by the Fellowships enables artists to concentrate time on the creative process, focus on personal and professional development, expand their body of work, and explore new directions.
Although Fellowships are unrestricted, Fellows are expected to devote concentrated time to their work during the term of the Fellowship and engage in activities that further their artistic growth. Examples include the creation of new work, training in technologies or techniques, purchase of equipment or materials, travel, research, and development of artistic endeavors. Fellows will be required to submit a final report documenting activities supported by the Fellowship.
1. Residency: Applicants must be Rhode Island residents 12 months prior to the application deadline, at the time of submitting the application, and during the period of the Fellowship.
2. Discipline: Applications will be accepted from writers creating new original work.
3. Career Stage: Applicants must demonstrate that they are within the range of an emerging to mid-career stage in their artistic profession, regardless of age.
1. Established artists, defined as having reached the mature stage of their careers and advanced levels of achievement, are not eligible.
2. Artists who are high school students or who are college or graduate students enrolled in a degree-granting program, at the time of application or during the period of the Fellowship, are not eligible.
The Rhode Island Foundation is employing the ALLIANCE OF ARTISTS COMMUNITIES, an independent national association, to manage applications and the jury process for the Robert and Margaret MacColl Johnson Fellowships.
For full information on eligibility, guidelines, and TO APPLY, please visit MacColl Johnson Fellowships on the Alliance of Artists Communities website
For additional questions, please email the Alliance of Artists Communities.